Coordinates with physicians, staff, and providers and facilities regarding patient care. In conjunction with physicians, develops plans of care and discharge plans, monitors all clinical activities, makes recommendations for alternative levels of care, identifies cost-effective protocols, and develops guidelines for care.
Note: Sign On Bonus Essential Functions:
• Utilization Management: Performs daily pre-admission, admission, and concurrent utilization reviews using guidelines, institutional
policies/procedures, and other information to determine appropriate levels of care and readiness for discharge.
• Escalates utilization and system problems which have not been resolved at the local level to the next level immediately.
• Monitors the progression of the plan of care and facilitates discussions with the multidisciplinary teams.
• Educates other healthcare team members on utilization and cost containment initiatives.
• Collaborates with and provides information to patients, families, physicians, and staff regarding the provisions of care.
• Incorporates and counsels on the correct and consistent application, interpretation, and utilization of member health care benefits (including transition of care).
• Discharge Planning: Ensures continuity of care through communication in rounds and written documentation, level of care
recommendations, transfer coordination, discharge planning and obtaining authorizations/approvals as needed for outside services for the patient.
• Develops, evaluates, and coordinates a comprehensive discharge plan in conjunction with the patient/family, physician, nursing, social services, and other healthcare providers and agencies.
• Performance Improvement: Monitors care processes to provide cost-effective implementation and evaluation of utilization management
and patient care activities, initiatives, and protocols.
• Participates in the development and implementation of guidelines, pre-printed physician orders, care paths, etc. for patient care.
• Identifies and assists in the implementation of opportunities for cost-savings and improvements in the quality of care across the continuum.
• Develops, collects, trends, and analyzes data relevant to the utilization of healthcare resources including avoidable/variance days, readmissions, one-day stays, DRGs, LOS, etc.
• Participates in the development, implementation, communication, maintenance and monitoring of local UM Workplan initiatives.
• Administrative and Regulatory: Shares accountability with the UM Manager for planning, developing, and managing the department
• Participates in interviewing, makes hiring recommendations, orients and provides on-going supervision of support staff.
• Provides input into the performance evaluations of team members.
• May plan and control work assignments and special projects of team members.
• Assists in developing, implementing and maintaining utilization management policies and procedures.
• Conducts UM, care coordination, and discharge planning activities according to all applicable regulatory requirements (see qualifications).
• Minimum two (2) years of experience in patient care delivery or completion of Master's degree in Case Management Program in lieu of minimum years of experience.
• Graduate of accredited school of nursing.
• Diploma/Associate degree in nursing.
• High School Diploma or General Education Development (GED) required.
License, Certification, Registration
• Current California RN licensure required. • BLS Certification.
• Knowledge of the Nurse Practice Act, TJC, DMHC, CMS, NCQA, HIPPA, ERISA, EMTALA & all other applicable federal/state/local laws & regulations.
• Demonstrated strong communication and customer service skills, problem-solving, critical thinking, & clinical judgment abilities.
• Fundamental word processing & computer navigation skills & the ability to interpret & use analytic data in day to day operations.
• Knowledge of healthcare benefits associated with various business lines (Medicare/KFH, Medi-Cal, Federal, etc.)
• Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
• Minimum two (2) years of experience in utilization review, case management, and discharge planning preferred.
• Bachelor's degree in nursing or in health care related field preferred.
• Master's degree in case management preferred.
Yes, 5 % of the Time
More information about the job
Is Relocation Available?
Is there a bonus structure?
Are you open to sponsorship?
This position is:
Is there a possibility to work remote?
Is there equity?
Are there flexible work hours?
Does this position have direct reports?
Who does this position report to?
Manager of Surgical Services
What are the 3-4 non-negotiable requirements on this position?
A minimum of 2 years of Burn Unit experience required/ICU burn experience OK. Have worked with patients that have burns on 25% of their body. RN License
What are the nice-to-have skills?
Case Management experience, Education: educating patients and staff
Does this describe you? If so, then, now is your time!